Superior Hiking Trail — Cascade River State Park to Grand Marais Overlook
- Cascade Lodge
- Nestled in the midst of Cascade River State Park and overlooking
Lake Superior. Rooms in historic main lodge. Large living room with
fireplace in main lodge. Log cabins with fireplaces and units with
kitchenettes and whirlpool tubs available at upgraded prices.
Distinctive northshore family restaurant and gift shop. Many hiking
trail options from lodge. Open year-round.
- Thomsonite Beach Inn and Suites
- Experience tranquility on the shore of Lake Superior, located in
the Cascade River State park between Lutsen and Grand Marais.
Lakeside rooms with deck, microwave and fridge. Upgrade to a
fireplace or kitchen suite. Landscaped grounds, picnic tables,
bonfire ring. Private campfire grills on ledge rock shore. Dining
and shopping nearby. AAA
Hiking Map Overview
- Caribou Trail (Cook County Road 4) to Cascade River State Park (9.4 miles)
- Follows the ridgeline offering views of Lake Superior
through hardwood forests, crossing many streams. A variety of
habitats including maple forests to cedar groves, massive
beaver dam to wide-open hillsides.
- Cascade River Loop Trail (7.8 miles)
- Follow the river from Cascade River State Park, 3.8 miles
up to the Pike Lake Road and down 4 miles along the river
back to Cascade River State park. Gorgeous waterfalls, the
secret waterfall, the 96 steps are highlights.
- Pike Lake Road (Cook County Road 45) to Bally Creek Road (Forest Road 158) (5.6 miles)
- Follows ridge overlooking the Sundling Creek valley.
Eagle Mountain, the highest point in Minnesota is visible
- Bally Creek Road (Forest Road 158) to Grand Marais (8.3 miles)
- A large beaver pond,
Sundling Creek and many boardwalks and bridges are part of
the section. Passes through a large red pine forest. Contains
wet areas. Near Grand Marais is Sawtooth Bluff (Overlook
Trail), a spur trail with beautiful vistas of Lake Superior.
You cross the Gunflint Trail, a highway, and walk uphill to
Grand Marais Overlook.